Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honda Ex1000 generator - governor adjustment

Posted by sambert (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 20, 10 at 19:00

I have a Honda EX1000 which starts well, but the output voltage drops if any load is applied.

This is not critical in most cases, but as I wish to charge my RV batteries with a big charger, I want to have at least 50% of the 1000 watts ( being 40 amp x 12 Volt max) but even at 25% load, the voltage drops below 100 v so my charger does not work.

There is a screw that adjusts the speed I think, and if I screw manually to get the 110 v with some load, then I can get 15 amp plus charging, all is well, BUT when I disconnect the load (charger)the voltage climbs up very fast, past 130 volts. Not ideal, as I need to keep a constant eye on what voltage is output, depending on the load, and adjust the screw accordingly.

I suspect the governor is not working well.
Would anyone know where to get a repairs manual ?
Do you think it is a question or maintenance and adjustment, OR would I have to replace the governor (or is the problem elsewhere)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honda Ex1000 generator - governor adjustment

It seems you have more of a small engine question than an electrical wiring question.
You should be able to get a manual through a Google search, or from a Honda dealer. You can also check with a place that repairs small engines (lawn mowers, snowblowers, etc.) They ought to be able to help you.

o

You have a bad voltage regulator

o

my governor is not working,it will not reb up when you push on the governor leaver it will not do anything can you tell me any thing about this,thank you

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here