Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fast help ~ changing 3 prong dryer pigtail to 4 prong

Posted by newhomebuilder (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 07 at 18:17

Got a call from my son, who is off at college and is attempting to change a 3 pong dryer pigtail to a 4 prong. He has the wires in the correct position (black and red wires are on either side of the center white wire.) However, the grounding screw is stripped and he cannot unscrew it to attach the grounding wire. He also tried loosening the screw with pliers, to no avail!

Can he ground the wire to another (unused) screw on the back of the dryer? He is waiting for me to return with an answer, so I hope someone is on the board this afternoon.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fast help ~ changing 3 prong dryer pigtail to 4 prong

It may not conform to the UL certification of the dryer, but a good connection to any part of the chassis will do the job for a ground connection.
BTW, when wired for a 3-prong cord, neutral is connected to chassis ground on the dryer. This connection must be removed when installing a 4-prong cable.

o

Best bet would be to drill & tap a new hole for a ground screw.

o

You can always JB Weld a crappy screwdriver in place to get the old screw out. Saves re-tapping the hole.

o

LOL I have no idea of half of what y'all are saying! Doesn't really matter, though. My son called me back and said that he tried to plug the 4 prong into the 4 prong outlet and it doesn't fit! No one told us that there are different sized 4 prong pigtails. My son is calling an electrician tomorrow.
Thanks for all the help!

o

Smart kid. Guess that's why he's in college!

o

Re: "BTW, when wired for a 3-prong cord, neutral is connected to chassis ground on the dryer. "

Ground is connected to chassis ground, there is no neutral.

o
re. RE: fast help ~ changing 3 prong dryer pigtail to 4 prong

My bad. Info above is wrong. I was thinking 240V service equipment.

o

My son called his landlord to get a recommendation for an electrician. The landlord came up to take a look at the dryer cord. She discovered that Home Depot sold my son's housemate a RANGE cord, instead of Dryer cord. Neither bothered to look at the package. LOL Guess that's why my son needs to go to college.

Anyway, my son will attempt to try a new pigtail, but will still have the problem of the grounding wire. Once again, will it be safe to ground the wire to another screw that doesn't seem to have any real function?

o

Another chassis screw would be acceptable if it is the same size or larger than the original screw, and a machine screw (NOT a self tapping sheet metal screw).

o

Great thanks!

o

Son got it all hooked up. Turned it on and used it, but says that it smelled like something was burning for awhile. Is this normal for a machine with new parts?

o

THere may have been a bit of contamination on the heating element - oil or some other material.

o
ccshipmates@hotmail.com

Good thought!

The machines were reconditioned from a repair man that I have used for years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here