Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with replacing a light switch

Posted by trialbyerror (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 14, 11 at 17:47

So I have a light switch that has two switches on it and the top one doesnt work very well anymore.

I purchased a new switch but the connections in the back are slightly different.

In the original switch the top one controls the main light in the room and the lower switch controls a light socket in the room.

When I open the socket and look at the old one I see 2 black wires and one blue. One black is connected to a LINE + the other is connected to the upper left terminal of the switch (no label).

The blue is connected to the other unlabeled terminal below the 2nd black.

My new switch also has two switches. The terminals are labeled Common, Common, A1, and B1.

Any suggestions on how to connect these wires to my new switch?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with replacing a light switch

Power in to the commons, A1 for one light, A2 for the other light.

The commons could be connected with a removable tab, if so, leave it on and the power in will power both outputs. If the commons are separated you will have to jumper the power in wire to both commons.

o

So the white wire connects to either of the commons and the two blacks A1 and B1?

Thanks for your input! Much appreciated!

o

"So the white wire connects to either of the commons and the two blacks A1 and B1? "

No. The whites just get joined together in the back of the box.

The black wire that was connected to "Line" is your new "common". If there is a metal connecting tab between the 2 commons on your switch, they are connected together and you just put the old "line" to either of them and it will power both. If there is no tab, take 2 small pieces of black wire and use a wire nut to connect one end of them to the black "line". Then connect the other ends of those short wires to the 2 commons.

The other 2 wires on unlabeled terminals go to A1 and B1.

o

Great! It works just like before. Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here