Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Timer for Bathroom Heater

Posted by dhuston (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 12, 11 at 17:03

I am looking for a timer to control a bathroom fan/heater.
The heater I am looking at buying is a panasonic whisperwarm and it shows the heater is 1500W. The timer I would like to use is a Lutron Maestro but it says it only rated for 600w incandescent. Can I use this timer for the heater or should I use something else. I really want to stay away from a mechanical timer just for cosmetic reasons. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Timer for Bathroom Heater

"Can I use this timer for the heater or should I use something else. "

Keep looking.

The wiring and contacts in this timer are not adequate for 1500 W (and when the heater first turns on it will pull even more than its rated power for a few seconds to minuts).

Overloaded contact fail in short order by (most often) welding themselve on all the time.

Look for something around 2,500 W.

o

o

what enigma posted looks good for your application. I actually have that fan, and the Maestro timer that you posted. Only difference is I have the timer hooked up to the exhaust fan which has a much much lower draw and a standard switch for the heating element.

I have to say the Maestro timer is really great for this application, althoguh I do know someone with the Leviton and is happy as well.

from a use perspective, I'm not sure I see the need or desire to have the fan on a timer. I would normally turn the heater off when i leave, if I had it on, where the exhaust fan portion I'd want to have on for a period of time after I left in order to clear out the steam.

o

"...would normally turn the heater off when i leave, if I had it on..."

My wife thinks switches are for turning things on.

o

"Can I use this timer for the heater"
absolutely not, and also have you checked the existing loads on that circuit? Not just the switched circuit for the fan, but the enitre circuit on that breaker?

o

Intermatic makes a electronic wall-switch timer that has a mechanical switch in it that should work fine. I've got one in my basement to turn on all my wife's grow lights (exotic plants, not drugs).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here