Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Circuit breaker tripping

Posted by jimrac (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 9, 11 at 16:41

Ihave noticed with one circuit in our home, when our 2 dehumidifiers( 40-50 pint size) are working at the same time, the circuitbreaker trips..

Now from what I gather, I dont think anything else is drawing power on this circuit; for instance lights on, etc... Its a 15 amp breaker, I think.

Is this possible? I am nots sure how much electricity these things are drawing.

Any insight would be greatlty appreciatiated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Circuit breaker tripping

If both units try to start at the exact same time it is very possible they could pull enough to trip a 15 A breaker.

o

I have a four year old 50 pint dehumidifier that i have measured at 5.8 amps or about 700 watts. This could possibly be higher power on an older model. Even at that, two units would be 1400 watts and if there is something else on the circuit it could definitely exceed the 1800 capacity, and as Brickeye said, starting current can be much higher which would also cause the breaker to trip.

o

"5.8 amps"

Twice that for starting would not be abnormal.

Three or four times the running current is not uncommon.

o

ok, thanks much appreciated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here