Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tony_1354

Splicing wires in finished wall without junction box.tyco amp con

tony_1354
9 years ago

Hi I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these kits. (Or knows about their legality) they are made by tyco and called ampconnect splice and are sold in Home Depot, etc.
I'm trying to move some kitchen recepticles and this kit promises to eleminate the need for a box. I know many hate these but there is a section of NEC quoted by the manufacture that supposedly allows this. The mikehalt forum also point toward this being possibly ok. What are your thoughts. It would save me and my backsplash if I could use these.
Thank you all in advance for your input.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tyco amp splice kit

Comments (10)

• rwiegand
    9 years ago

They cite chapter and verse of the NEC ("NEC compliant - article 334-40b, 2005 & 2008 NEC"), but your local electrical inspector will be the final arbiter, so you just need to ask him/her.

• tony_1354
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is one of the NEC quotes:
    334.40(B) Devices of Insulating Material.
    Switch, outlet, and tap devices of insulating material shall be permitted to be used without boxes in exposed cable wiring and for rewiring in existing buildings where the cable is concealed and fished. Openings in such devices shall form a close fit around the outer covering of the cable, and the device shall fully enclose the part of the cable from which any part of the covering has been removed. Where connections to conductors are by binding-screw terminals, there shall be available as many terminals as conductors.

• tony_1354
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I see. Thanks rwiegand.

• tony_1354
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just a dumb question and kinda high jacking my own thing:). How does the whole permit inspector deal works? I just submit the application and my plan and the inspector shows up at the end to approve it? Do I call him as I go with questions such as this splicing thing? Also do I need permit to change my cabinets and floor ( from linoleum to tile) in the kitchen ?

This post was edited by tony_1354 on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 17:37

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

That represents a relatively recent Code revision. Initially those devices were permissible only on manufactured houses, including modular houses that met the full local building code. The purpose was to enable set crews to quickly connect the various sections/units of the units as they were placed at the final site.
    I have not encountered a failure with any of those and the expanded permissible use seems to indicate a good service record for them.
    I would urge any users to follow the included installation instructions precisely.

This post was edited by bus_driver on Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 17:06

• tony_1354
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks bus driver

• tony_1354
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I must admit I have changed my kitchen cabinets and am planning on renewing the floor and haven't gotten permit as I assumed it was such superficial thing and read online that they don't need permits. Now I just want to make sure if I apply for permit to change location of my recepticles ( might even do plugmold) I wouldn't get in trouble for cabinets and ripped out floor.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

I've lived in some areas where the building department was rather anal, but I've never encountered any that would consider changing out the floor covering or putting in new cabinets as requiring a permit, unless there was some structural, plumbing, or electrical change being made, too.

• Bruce in Northern Virginia
    9 years ago

We recently went through a complete tear out and replacement of our kitchen and they required permits for the construction of a new wall, electrical upgrades, and a mechanical permit for moving the gas pipe for the stove over about a foot. However, they did not require a plumbing permit because we just replaced the cabinets and sink and it still used the existing drain and supply pipes.

I believe the sequence of inspectors was:
    -- Structural for new LVL beam and posts; installation of new windows
    -- Insulation in outer walls (a separate inspection from structural)
    -- Electrical rough in/mechanical rough in (very closely inspected how the gas line was installed)
    -- Finished electrical/mechanical/ Final inspection

Bruce

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

There's high degrees of variability in the rules and sometimes it varies from trade to trade.

I can replace an ELECTRIC or OIL furnace or hot water heater without talking to anybody. To replace a gas furnace or water heater, whether it's identical to the one that is there or not, requires a permit and inspection.

Up in Virginia usually the inspectors spend some time on site looking at things. Down in my county in NC, sometimes they arrive, make their decision, and depart so fast it's hard to believe they actually looked at anything. On the good side, if I'm not on site, they have portable computers that instantly update the building permit website. WHich is good because they leave the paper inspection certificate in bizarre places, Frequently sitting under a rock paperweight on the site somewhere or one time under the windshield wiper of my NEIGHBOR'S truck.