Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
House lights flicker/dim when I run washing machine

Posted by gryd (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 3, 12 at 15:25

I posted this on the home repair forum but it was suggested to post it here as well: This is a new problem but over the past month my lights in the house are dimming when my washing machine starts up (starts agitating). I have 200 amp service and my central ac doesn't dim the lights in my house. I should say that the lights dimming are not even on the same dedicated 20 amp circuit as the washer. Is the washer possibly going? Could a bad breaker cause this problem? Any advice would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: House lights flicker/dim when I run washing machine

It's more likely that you have a problem with the washing machine. It's evidently drawing a lot of power, thus reducing the voltage and dimming the lights. I'd have it checked out, because a washing machine shouldn't do that. It's highly unlikely that this is a breaker issue.

o

Is it a momentary flicker when the motor starts, or a discernible dimming the whole time the washer is running?
The former is probably normal, the latter definitely is not.

o

Standard loose/corroded neutral issue.

Central A/C doesn't do it because the compressor is 240, and doesn't use the neutral. Washer does.

Typical advice is for OP to call qualified electrician to inspect neutral connections at panel and meter base.

o

If the problem is limited to the washer, then I respectfully disagree with the diagnosis that it's a neutral issue. I would call a washing machine repair person. To me, it appears that the washing machine is drawing much more current than it should for brief periods, causing the flicker (but not tripping the breaker). Probably worn out contacts in the timer.

o

Well the timer diagnosis is BS. You know how many times I've been told a washer was junk because it needed a timer? Many. You know how many times said washer has actually need a timer? Once. ONCE, and that's because some a-hole took after it with a crowbar.

There are a bunch of small loads in a washer. Fill solenoids. Door latch (on a front-loader). Maybe a buzzer. The timer motor itself. There is ONE large electrical load: the motor.

You know what the timer does with that motor? I'll tell you. It turns it on, and it turns it off. For some cycles, it reverses it by turning on a different wire. At NO POINT does the timer have ANY control over how much power the motor is getting.

Also, the timer contacts themselves are quite small, so if you're going to make any pitiful attempt to sell me this timer nonsense based on "internal shorting," you are once again fired as a technician/salesperson, as a dead short of a 15A or 20A circuit through those contacts, at least of the weak type that would be necessary for a 'flickering' report, would OBLITERATE said contacts in very short order, thereby removing itself as a problem.

Face it, there's nothing wrong with the timer.

There is nothing wrong with the WASHER. It is drawing as much power as a washer should draw. That amount VARIES as the mechanical load (presumably clothing) gets spun/shuffled around. Heavier mechanical load on a motor = more current drawn... so as the clothes move around, the mechanical load varies, varying the electrical current. Varying electrical current through the HIGH-RESISTANCE NEUTRAL CONNECTION varies the voltage drop and flickers the original poster's lights.

That whole "you need a new timer" crap has *ALWAYS* ticked me off, as most of the repair people who threw it at me deserved to be charged with fraud. On top of that, you're recommending that the 'customer' IGNORE a POTENTIALLY SERIOUS problem.

Kill yourself.

o

I made a suggestion based on the probability of failure. It's highly unlikely that an intermittent neutral will manifest itself only through a washing machine. That being said, I'm not at the OP's location, so I can't give a precise diagnosis.

Did you miss your prunes today?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here