Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Conduit Fitting

Posted by tonys_2009 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 11, 11 at 14:44

I'm going to be hooking up a salt water generator to my pool this weekend. The question I have is about how to transition from the insulated wire to conduit. The wire coming out of the box looks like an extension cord. Is there a fitting to go from that to a liquidtite conduit? It will be mounted outside so I have to keep rain out of it. Also its 220 so I don't want to use a plug.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Conduit Fitting

First thing is to look at the instructions as to the requirements for wiring it. If it says use an appropriate plug, use an appropriate plug.

You install a box and use an appropriate fitting on the box for both the cord and the conduit.

If there is provision for the bonding wire, make sure you use the #8 solid wire to connect it to the rest of your equipotential system.

o

The instructions don't say anything about a plug. I just need a way to go from a cord to flexible conduit or at least to a junction box.

o

They make such things for junction boxes as I stated. You'll need a junction box because you're going to splice that cord to your other wires right?

o

You are likely going to have to go to an actual electrical supply house.

Big box stores rarely have anything they cannot sell a large number of.

Take the unit with you and ask them for a cable-box clamp connector rated for the type of 'cord' on the unit.

o

What about a fitting for rigid conduit that would allow me to pass a wire through it but be water tight at the same time? All of the supply houses near me are open while I'm at work so I need to find something on the internet.

o

"What about a fitting for rigid conduit that would allow me to pass a wire through it but be water tight at the same time?"

It is going to have to be made for the specific of cable.

While their is some room for the glands used to seal round cables, they actually have a minimum and maximum diameter they are rated to work with.

Keeping water out is not the only thing needed.
The cable must be clamped to prevent any force that might be exerted on the cable from getting to the internal connections.

If you use almost any cable clamp pointed downwards you will already have most of the rain problem eliminated.

Humidity is still going to get into the box, and it will condense.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here