Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it ok to wire 2 or more GFCIs in series?

Posted by orourke (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 30, 08 at 14:37

I have one receptacle string in my house where two GFCIs are wired, in series. Is that a problem?

In theory two in series should provide at least as much protection as having just on on the first receptacle in the string. But is there a chance that the two could somehow "synchronize/resonate" and end up not tripping or significantly delaying power shutoff?

Why do I have two GFCIs in a string and not just one on the first receptacle in the string? Because previous owner had already put a GFCI in the bathroom - which is somewhere midway in the string - and yesterday when I put GFCIs in the 1st receptacle of every string I saw no reason to bother reverting the bathroom GFCI to a regular receptacle.

BTW, I tested the protection at every receptacle by taking some current from the hot(black) wire and routing it through a 25W light bulb to the neutral(white) of another circuit to create an actual leakage. I noticed that for those receptacles that are after both GFCIs, both GFCIs tripped when I tested with the light bulb.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it ok to wire 2 or more GFCIs in series?

Not a problem with doing this. However the one that will trip may not be the one closest to the fault.
Jim

o

Yep, and your test demonstrated the biggest problem with this approach: potential for confusion. When a GFCI trips, which outlet had the problem? Which GFCI tripped? Or worse, which combination of GFCI(s)?

GFI receptacle manufacturers must love it. How many times have we seen posts in this forum that begin something like this:

My [garage/bathroom/basement/take your pick] GFI outlet tripped and I tried resetting it. I couldn't get it to work so I went to Home Depot and bought a new one. The new one doesn't work either. Why is my outlet still dead?

If I'm putting more than one GFI outlet on the same circuit (and there are some cases where that makes sense), I prefer to avoid wiring to the second one to the load side of the first one wherever feasible.

o

why not just take the original 1st outlet and put it where the 2nd GFCI is now?

o

Or feed the hot line to the "line" terminals of both GFCI receptacles.

That way they are not actually in series.

o

I wasted two hours today trying to replace 2 reg outlets with 2 gfci's. The 2 outlets are on either side of the sink and then the circuit continues on to another outlet and then the microwave. There's a 20 A breaker at the board so I bought 20 amp gfci's. I wired them in the holes for behind wiring and could nor get them to work no matter how I wired them. What am I missing?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here