Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about an exterior GFCI

Posted by catherinet (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 7, 11 at 14:23

I have a Redodot exterior GFCI outlet on the outside of the house. First question: Can I replace the cover by itself, or do I need to replace the entire unit? The cover keeps falling off. (I think one side is missing a little spring).

Next: I use a long, heavy duty extension cord from this outlet to go to a shed, where I keep my golf cart charging battery and golfcart. I plug it in each night, and unplug it from the outlet every morning. The plug is sooooo hard to pull out. I think its stressing the GFCI outlet and also the end of the extension cord. Is there any way of getting it to come out more easily? I fear I'm going to ruin the cord and/or the outlet soon.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about an exterior GFCI

I'm not familiar with Redodot, but every cover I have seen is replacable without removing the receptacle.
A firm grip between the receptacle and plug is what you should have to ensure minimal electrical resistance. It shouldn't overstress the receptacle if it's properly installed and the plug is in good shape and you are pulling on the plug itself, not the cord.

o

Thanks randy,
This seems like more than just a good fit. I have to really pull and pull on it and I'm afraid its going to decrease the life of the GFCI. I don't understand what's making it so hard to pull out, unless the prongs on the extension cord were made too close together.??

o

Look at the plug and compare it to other similar plugs to see if the blades are bent. If so, you should be able to straighten them. Are the blades smooth or corroded or burred? If they are not smooth, you might be able to get some fine abrasive paper and smooth them off. If the cord is difficult to unplug, you should probably put the other hand on the outlet to hold it while pulling the plug out.

o

Thanks ionized,
I'll check that out.

o

Make sure you replace the cover with a "bubble type" in use cover. That is a cover that is protected from weather when something is plugged in. The old flat, metal covers are only allowed under supervised use, meaning someone is there to unplug and close cover when it might get wet.

o

Thanks btharmy, I didn't know that. I'll look for one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here