Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ceiling light/fan

Posted by gordonjohnston06 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 15, 10 at 14:23

I have been given a ceiling light/fan for my living room, on looking at it I have noticed the wiring on the ceiling plate and the fan/light are more than the feed from the ceiling, the whole thing has got me confused, I have pics of the two parts but was not sure if pics could be used on the forum, any help would be really appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ceiling light/fan

Your best bet might be to hire a licensed electrician, with all due respect this project might be above your skill level.

With that said, most modern ceiling fans with a light a pre-wired so that the light and fan can be controlled independently from a wall switch. Typically you'll have a black wire (hot for the fan), blue (hot for the light), white (neutral), and green (ground). Your house may only be wired with one hot wire (typically black). In that case you would connect the black and blue wires from the fan to the black wire in the ceiling and then control the fan/light using the pull chains. White would go to white and green to ground.

Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here