Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wimpy Induction Cooktop-- Wiring Problem??

Posted by Xena99 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 13:40

I have a circa 2002 Jenn-Air smooth 30-inch cooktop that has 2 induction burners and 2 regular electric ones. The induction burners have never provided much heat; as a consequence we use the regular burners almost all the time. The induction is only good for low heat like eggs or simmering. We have induction cookware.

The cooktop and Jenn-Air double electric ovens share two joined 40 amp circuits that can only be switched in tandem.

Is it possible I have a wiring problem here? Do I have enough amperage for these appliances? I have heard that an induction cooktop needs 40 amps. I would like to know if I have an electrical problem or just a bad appliance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wimpy Induction Cooktop-- Wiring Problem??

Those are some good questions. Without some more information, it is impossible to provide answers.

o

Do you have the manual? What size? The current Jenn-Air induction cooktops call for either 40A or 50A depending on size. I'll assume the older ones are about the same.

That said, it isn't like a small wire will "limit" the amount of current that the cooktop will try to draw. The circuit breaker is the current limiter (or in the extreme case of miswiring, the fire that results from the wire getting hot).

Since you aren't tripping the breaker, the cooktop isn't pulling more than 40A. I suspect an appliance issue.

o

The fact that it works at all leads me to think you're getting 120v rather than 240v at the power connection. Check the induction connections first.

This post was edited by saltcedar on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 21:02

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here