Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
globe199

Suggestion for motion sensor unit

globe199
9 years ago

I've got an old, broken motion sensor unit attached to a wall-mount light on the outside of my house. It's the type that can attach to any fixture to add motion-sensing capability. I haven't replaced it because I can't find a suitable replacement.

This would probably work

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00002N7FQ/

But it's a replacement sensor for their own models. Electrically, I'm sure it would work, but it's not easily mountable. I've checked Menards, Home Depot, Lowe's. Nobody carries them anymore.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

This post was edited by globe199 on Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 13:11

Comments (5)

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

While at the amazon site, I searched on:

replacement motion sensor

and got about 15-20 amazon possibilities.

Here is a link that might be useful: Other Possibilities

This post was edited by saltidawg on Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 15:13

• globe199
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, but those are all replacements for fixtures that INCLUDE the sensor and light in one unit. What I have is a plain old light with an aftermarket sensor. It appears to me that almost nobody makes these anymore, and I'm beginning to wonder why.

The main reason I need such a setup is because the light is in an unusual location at the front of my house. It is directly across the porch/entry from a bedroom window; in other words, the window and the light face each other, and are separated by about 4-5 feet. So it needs to be a motion light -- it can't be on all night because it would shine right into the bedroom.

The other kicker is that the light is mounted somewhat high on the wall. The only lights I can find that include an "aim-able" motion sensor are the flood-style, which is not suitable for this location. I want a general outdoor sconce that looks decent. Unfortunately, most sconces have the sensor on top of the light, which would put it way too high on the wall for sensing any motion at ground level.

Essentially, too many dumb rules to make for an easy solution.

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

Any of those sensors can work in a location a distance from the lamp instead of mounted on the light.

Are you looking for a sconce type LAMP with a motion sensor able to look down?

Or the link below is for a wall mounted sensor that could control your existing light.

Maybe you need to post a photo or two...

Here is a link that might be useful: Last Try

• globe199
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They can work electrically , but I'd have to figure out some sort of mounting setup. All of them have a threaded mount to go back on the OEM light.

The link you sent looks promising. Wish I could see a photo of the back and the wiring.

This post was edited by globe199 on Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 16:03

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

Forget the "Last Try" - view of back shows mount similar to the others.

I can't believe that you can not figure out a method to mount any of these....

Someone else may have a solution, I'm done.

This post was edited by saltidawg on Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 16:44

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?