Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blahbob

Humming sound from electric cable attached to house

blahbob
13 years ago

Hi,

The electric cable from the pole to my house isn't buried, and it connects to the outside of my house right at my master bedroom wall.

The problem is, in my bedroom, I can hear a fairly loud humming sound. You can hear it quite clearly at night, which is fairly annoying when trying to sleep.

If you put your ear up to the wall, you can hear the humming quite clearly.

I got an estimate from an electrician to bury the cable, and I had him listen to the humming noise, and he said he had never heard anything like it.

Before I spend 2k to bury my cable (which should hopefully get rid of the noise), I'm curious if anyone has ever heard of anything like this before.

Thanks

Comments (26)

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

It is possible that there is iron (klike nails in hte siding or framing) that are begin vibrated by the 60 Hz current, but it can also be just the line vibrating.

If is is 60 Hz, probably magnetic field from the line (though it should cancel pretty well on a triplex).

Any other frequency is more likely the line itself vibrating in the breeze (think guitar string).

• dan1554
    13 years ago

I personally have never heard a noise from a service entrance cable, but that is not to say it couldn't happen. Some other things to look for... could there be a transformer mounted in the wall / above the ceiling? Or even a doorbell transformer in the basement, screwed to the studs, that is transmitting the sound upstairs?

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

maybe it doesn't know the words...;)

• lbpod
    13 years ago

Chances are the electric meter is on the same wall.
    Mechanical meters sometimes make noise. Call the POCO
    and they 'should' check it out. Service wires sometimes
    make noise in the wind, but can be shortened, or lengthened
    to stop it. Or by attaching it to another, more substantial
    part of the exterior of the house. If there is a tranformer on the pole your service is coming from, then
    it's possible that transformer hum is being transfered to
    your sevice wire. But for starters, do like Joed said, turn off the main breaker and a noisy meter will stop. If
    it is the meter, then ask the POCO to install a digital
    meter.

• hrajotte
    13 years ago

I do not have an answer, but have heard wires humming on a pole while walking my dogs. There is a pole in my neighborhood with a fused shutoff on it, but no transformer, which regularly hums fairly loud, especially at times of peak demand. I've seen the POCO working in the area, and apparently it is of no concern to them.

• smithy123
    13 years ago

first of all, get out of here, welcome and stop spamming this site. get a job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway, there could be a loose connection and it is arcing.

• Tomas Zakopal
    3 years ago

Yeah I have exactly same problem at our new house. I am sure burying the cable would solve the issue but it is so expensive. meter is downstairs actually on the outside wall but no hum there. Main line cable attaches to the house upstairs on the outside wall of our bedroom. That is where the noise is. It is really annoying

• suephillips0
    3 years ago

I believe I have the same thing going on. can you describe the sound you hear? low or high pitched?

• JoAnn Smegelsky
    3 years ago

I have the same thing happening and had National Grid at the house to check my line. The line used to creek in the wind, just recently it sounds like a buzz or current when the wind blows. National Grid could not find anything. Anyone sleeping in that bedroom will hear it. Annoying. Keep me posted if anyone learns anymore. Thanks!

• Gayle Tabor
    3 years ago

I have a humming sound by both bedrooms and the electric line attaches to house from the pole near the street by the bedrooms. It has been hit many times by lightning. Comcast came out, fixed their lines but said something is still wrong at the pole. No one has come out about this yet and the sound is so irritating I can't sleep. What can be done?

• Nataly Carbonell
    3 years ago

Are we all living int he same house? Lol it’s only one bedroom on the wall facing outside. It’s like a vibration buzzing noise. Only at night. Creepy and alien-ish.

• Nataly Carbonell
    3 years ago

Update: it was our septic tank system!!!

• HU-333784714
    3 years ago

I have a rattling sound from DISH cables connected to the roof attached to the side of my aluminum siding. Any suggestions how to eliminate the noise the wind makes with these cables during a storm?

• Dylan Manthei
    3 years ago

I'm experiencing this right now. At 3am. It sounds like a diesel engine running outside. We live at the end of the power line in the country with no close neighbor. I've listened carefully at the breaker box, outside near the mast, and first floor (living room) and the basement, but the noise is only prevalent (and quite loud) in the bedroom. The line attaches to the house nearly dead center in our head board but up at the height of the ceiling. I've used Physics Toolbox app and the sound is 52-62Hz so electrical seems plausible. It's also cyclic, fading in and out in volume from nearly gone to extremely irritating. We have a digital power meter, and there is a transformer on our power pole at the road. There's a light breeze outside, temp is 16F, and there's freezing fog on the power line but we also hear this sound in more normal weather. I've heard conductors vibrate in conduit at work under large surges, but according to my Sense monitor we're only pulling about 1200 watts right now for a dozen devices and the changes in sound don't correlate to changes in load or devices cycling on and off. I feel it must be electromagnetic, wind on the power line, or vibration coming down the power line from somewhere else like the transformer.

• TJ Schmitz
    3 years ago

Dylan, where are you located? We are experiencing the same thing. Same weather as you described as well, we are in south-central Wisconsin. My wife described it as a large truck running outside as well. Our power service connection is made on the master bedroom wall where our bed sits against as well. At first I was freaking out, but after hearing identical conditions at your house, I am guessing this is more weather related.

• Dylan Manthei
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

We are also south-central Wisconsin :-). I did end up talking to family friends who work for the power company and they felt strongly this was caused by the electrical service wire being too tight between the transformer and the house. Within the last few weeks this person (quite experienced) had the same sort of complaint and it solved the issue. Wind across the 'thickened' power line (or the cold causing the line to shrink) causes a vibration that sounds loud inside the house near the line but nowhere else. I called the power company and they loosened the line yesterday. We have not heard the issue since and the freezing fog is back tonight so we'll see what happens!

• Shiva Nassab
    3 years ago

blahbob did you get this sorted out? I'm hearing the same thing and there are a few wires connected to the side of my building i bet are behind the noise!

• HU-839101124
    3 years ago

At cold temperatures the tension line from the pole to house would tighten and carry the vibration from the transformer on the pole to the outside wall, which then resonated to sound like a motor was running in the wall. A damper on this line brought silence.

• Shiva Nassab
    3 years ago

Just want to let everyone know that the wire was the issue. Phone lines guy came and removed it because it wasn't even active!

• HU-976440990
    3 years ago

I have the same noise in master bed roam.only happens when the forced air heater cuts down in the work shop.got it narrowed down to the metal bolt of the service attachment spool .getting nb power out Monday.current surge when heaters cut in.

• Victoria Martinez
    2 years ago

Yes I hear humming and people voices saying mentally disturbing things and it seems like it's coming through all electives outlets and appliances.

• HU-246220911
    2 years ago

I hear a hum more so in room and it makes my ear goes nuts and keeps me from sleeping. its not tinnitus because as soon as i go outside i dont hear it unless its really windy. i cant figure out what it is but i have not tried any of the suggestions i read above. to make this even stranger no one else can hear it except me and the dogs but its prevelent more in one room than any other in the house. its sickening to hear it and somtimes i can feel vibrations in the bed.

• Carla Louise
    last year

Did you resolve?

• HU-573490947
    last year

I have the same problem: A low and then higher humming sound that has a click between the two. All my cables are underground. When the power goes off because of a storm the constant humming continues. Any suggestions?

• kudzu9
    last year
    last modified: last year

Well, if the humming continues after the power goes off, that suggests the electrical is not the source of the sound.