Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Safe to run wire through a dryer vent?

Posted by NotDIY (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 11:45

I'm looking to install an exterior security camera at my home. The closest power source is in the garage. The only opening which connects the garage to the exterior is a dryer vent. Would there be any problems running the power cord from the camera through the dryer vent to reach an outlet? Would it be necessary to wrap the cord with a heat resistant tape?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Safe to run wire through a dryer vent?

You can not run cordage through walls (dryer vent or otherwise).

o

If you are talking having the cord inside the duct of the dryer vent, its all kinds of a bad idea with the eventual result likely being a dryer vent fire. Dryer vent fire are a common enough hazard on their own you really don't want to try to cause one.

o

As ronnatalie points out, you can't run a power cord through the wall anywhere, so here is what I recommend: install an exterior, weatherproof, GFCI receptacle for your purpose. Judging by your screen name, I'm assuming you're not very handy, so you should hire a licensed electrician to do this.

o

Thank you all for the advice!

o

Most people who decide to install security cameras at home now are using the preassembled kits made in China and marketed everywhere. The power wiring is 12vdc, and can be run just about anywhere - a dead short will result only in a camera not working, so the wire itself doesn't pose a hazard.

That said, running ANYTHING through a dryer vent is a fail idea. The wire (or other obstruction) gives lint something to cling to, and the resulting buildup/clog is a serious fire hazard. If you run your camera wire through the dryer vent, I can rather guarantee you won't have an electrical fire because of it - but you WILL likely have a NON-electrical fire.

o

What people "do" doesn't make it legal to run cordage (low voltage or oherwise) through walls.

o

ronnatalie,

Are you saying low voltage cordage can not be run through walls? How about low voltage wire, such as in a door bell?

What is the difference? The covering?

Just curious.

o

You can't run cordage through the wall period.

Doorbell and other approved LV wiring (like thermostat and speaker wiring) are not CORDAGE.

o

So the answer is indeed the different cover material. Tnx for the nice answer.

o

Well it's the entire design. Not just the cover material. Cordage is typically more flexible, but not designed for enclosure. Cabling wants to be fixed in place and desined for such.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here