Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Puzzle: Power coming to fixture socket, why no light?

Posted by flyleft (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 23, 10 at 11:16

Hi--I'm writing for my DH, who is scratching his head trying to figure out why our porch light suddenly won't work. It was working fine, and suddenly stopped. Of course we tried changing out the bulb, but no light. He's also tested to make sure there was power coming to the bulb socket, and sure enough, there is.

So what could be causing the problem? Our other porch light is downstream on the same circuit, and is working fine. We'd very much appreciate any insights/leads. TIA.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Puzzle: Power coming to fixture socket, why no light?

Check the center tab of the socket. With the power off and the bulb out, use a pencil or other small tool to gently lift the center tab up a little, allowing better contact with the center of the bulb.

o

Check the bulb too. I've run into some, several times over the years, where the center terminal on the bulb didn't protrude enough and wasn't touching the center tab.

o

Thanks, guys (gals? don't want to presume :)). Wish I could say DH hadn't tried these already. Any other ideas?

o

All I can figure is a bad batch of new bulbs. Try the bulbs in another lamp. If they do work someplace else, must be a poltergeist at work.

o

Exactly how did he verify there was electricity at the socket?
It is possible the neutral side is open depending on how he measured it.

o

I vote for a bad connection that will not carry the load even though it is very minimal.

o

ron and countryboy, thanks for your replies. DH will try rewiring it...the odd thing is that it worked for several days and then suddenly stopped--does that affect your vote in any way, cb?

What does "the neutral side was open" mean? He checked it with a voltimeter.

Thanks again.

o

Where did he put the probes? If he didnt place one on the threads but used some other metallic part of the fixture, the wire leading to the threaded part which should be connected to the neutral.

o

Well, just a followup--my DH rewired the connection and it works now! He recut the black lead out of the fixture and bound it in tighter with the other ones. the other sets of wires (white and ground) were fine.

Thanks for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here