Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hot tub wiring questions

Posted by Waco (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 25, 12 at 11:07

I am running wire for a hot tub. After I ran 6 ga. (red, black, white, and bare) wire, I read that the bare wire should be insulated green. Will the bare wire be OK or should I run another green insulated wire? Also My 50A GFCI breaker will not trip when I push the test button. That makes me think I have a wire connected wrong. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks
Waco

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hot tub wiring questions

Because of the inherent risks of water and electricity, it's damned important you get everything right. If you have even the slightest doubt, call a licensed electrician.

You can NOT use a bare ground wire. If the GFCI is not tripping, you have it either wired wrong (more likely) or it's defective (less likely). Fix the problem BEFORE using the spa. Tell us how you have it wired or take some clear pictures and post them.

o
RE: Hot tub wiring questions

Is this an outside hot tub?

Are you sure the GFCI is not tripped? Is power still present on the load terminals?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here