Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Light Bulbs keep burning out

Posted by tkstock (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 10:56

I have a fairly recent install of a pendant light fixture in my kitchen (two). One of the two fixtures has an issue where the bulbs keep burning out - within a couple days to a couple of weeks.

I saw a suggestion where you can pull the tab out at the bottom of the socket so that it makes better contact with the bulb at the base. I did this, and was careful not to over-tighten the bulb.

I'm still having the issue. I've posted a close-up of the bottom of the blub - does the spot on the bottom appear to be from arcing? In this most-recent burn-out (first once since I pulled the tab out), the bulb had a white film on the interior - and the filament seemed intact - but there was a clear "broken piece" sound coming from the bulb as I lightly shook it.

I will post a picture of the socket too in a reply.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

This post was edited by tkstock on Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 11:01

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Light Bulbs keep burning out

Here's a picture of the socket. The tab is about 1/8" - 1/4" from the ceramic - so it's not flat against it.

o

Vibration and too-high voltage are enemies of incandescent lamps.
If the lamp lights properly, leave the center contact alone. It is not the cause of the problem.

o

Heat is the other nemesis of light bulbs. If these are high-hat fixtures, CFLs or reflector bulbs may help to reduce the trapped heat.

o

Thanks for the responses! bus_driver, How can a fixture be wired for other than the standard 110 V? It isn't vibration - this is a stationary fixture just like the one beside it.

randy, I have two fixtures - exactly the same- the other one is fine. I don't think it's a heat problem, otherwise they'd both have it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here