Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is BX cable sufficient ground in itself?

Posted by mundo (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 25, 10 at 10:16

Hi,

We have moved into a new house that is a bit of a fixer-upper. We're remodelling the kitchen and need to add a few ceiling lights in bedrooms and the living area.

Most of the existing outlets are 2 prong and looking at the wiring we have BX / armoured cabling with no separate ground wire.

I would like to change out a number of the outlets to 3 prong. Is the ground from electrical box -> metal cable -> house ground, considered 'good enough'?

I'm half thinking I may as well get the electrician to replace everything while he's doing the kitchen electrics and the celiling lights, before we decoreate the house.

Any thoughts??
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is BX cable sufficient ground in itself?

You are actually pretty unlike;y to have actual BX cable.

Look at the end of a cable in a junction box for a thin metal bonding strip.

The bonding strip allows the use of the armor on AC cable to be used as ground.

Real BX does not have a bonding strip.

o

If it is in fact BX cable without a bonding strip, then no, it is not "good enough" to use the jacket as an equipment ground. My home, built in 1928 and many in the area built pre 1940 or so had 2 prong outlets with bx and knob and tube. I can only assume if the house was trimmed out with 2 prong devices that there was no equipment ground available to begin with.

o

I don't know what the code called for in, say, the late 50s and early 60s - but I've encountered several houses from that era in which grounded circuits were run to the kitchen and garage, but 2-pin receptacles were fitted.

o

I believe the code allows up to 6 feet of BX in length to act as a ground without a bonding strip.

o

I don't know what the code called for in, say, the late 50s and early 60s - but I've encountered several houses from that era in which grounded circuits were run to the kitchen and garage, but 2-pin receptacles were fitted.

My Mom's house is wired like that. She has non-metallic cable and the ground wire is just wrapped around the screw of the cable clamp. My guess is that at the time grounded receptacles were more expensive and the code was changing requirements for grounding so the electrician just went with the cheaper option.

o

Initial versions of NM cable did not have a grounding conductor.

Later a grounding conductor was added, but is was smaller then the current carrying conductors (around #16-18).

BX was discovered to have problems with ground continuity using just the spiral armor.

It was de-listed and not re-introduced until years later as AC cable with a bonding strip.

While it is possible for the armor on BX to heat up (it is a common demonstration with a Variac to control the applied voltage and make the armor glow red hot) it is still a rare event.

o

Later a grounding conductor was added, but is was smaller then the current carrying conductors (around #16-18).

I thought the ground wire looked small but with aging eyes I thought it was my imagination....perhaps not.

o

IIRC, the original ground in NM was allowed to be 2 sizes (4 numbers) smaller than the current carrying conductors. In #14 cable, a #18 ground was permitted; #12 cable used a #16 ground.

The method Mike mentions of "bonding" the ground wire to the box is one I've seen many times in work done around 1960. Kind of makes you wonder, eh?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here