Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbaugh_gw

Portable generator electrical connections questions

jbaugh
13 years ago

I have a 4600 Watt portable generator in a shed just outside of my garage for use for emergency power generation.

I'm concerned about how the electrician has configured the connection with the house circuit. He installed a double throw safety switch about 25 ft away on an interior garage wall. A heavy gage cord with a 3 prong male end dangles from the switch box for connection to the power cord connected to the generator. When generated power is needed, a power cord is plugged into the 3 prong 125V outlet on the generator with the other end connected to the cord from the safety switch. I have run this configuration several times for testing and during brief power outages. It seems to work as long as the power draw from my house is kept relatively low ( two refrigerator/freezer combos, 8 or 10 75 watt light bulbs, computer, clocks and other low wattage items). Occasionally the generator seems to falter a bit and I notice the lights dim briefly.

Is this the optimal way to transfer power from the generator to my house circuit? I notice there is a circular 3 prong locking outlet on my generator. This is labeled as a "120 V 30 A Twist-Lock" which "powers 120 Volt AC, 60 Hz, single phase loads requiring up to 2300 Watts of power." The standard 3-prong outlet is labeled "to operate 120 Volt AC, single phase, 60 Hz loads requiring up to 20 A or 2300 Watts of power."

All this suggests to me that I can only supply up to 2300 Watts of power from my generator to my house through one of these connections and I am not getting the full potential 4600 Watts. Is my assumption correct? Is there a way to remedy this so that all 4600 Watts of my generator are available?

Thanks.

John

Comments (2)