Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
embeth_gw

K&T question for ceiling fixture

embeth
12 years ago

I am wondering how to handle installing a new fixture in my dining room, wired with K&T. We just moved into our house a few months ago and had most of the K&T removed by a professional electrician. He didn't update a few fixtures because they were functioning fine and hard to access the wiring in the wall, one of which was the dining room.

I am now ready to install a new fixture in the room (the old one isn't really appropriate for the room), and I have found that there is the old gas pipe and the two K&T wires coming right out of the ceiling, with no electrical box.

I am not sure how to proceed. A surface mount box? (This is what the other remaining K&T ceiling receptable has.) Cut in a new box and just run the wires into it? Something else?

Also, I'm not sure if this is something I can handle myself or if I should hire this done. (I have limited electrical experience, but I do have relatives who can assist. I am willing to pay for the professional if there is something tricky about this, but I would like to avoid extra expense if I can.)

Comments (2)