Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Screw connections: How tight is too tight?

Posted by grandmum (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 8:58

I put on a new dryer cord the other day and really torqued down those screws, almost to point of stripping the screw... so I stopped.

Got me to thinking how tight is too tight in regards to electrical connection on screws?

Could over torqueing actually cause them to become loose if that even makes any sense?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Screw connections: How tight is too tight?

In theory, most of the connections have recommended torque values for the screws. You can see this on breakers, etc. Not so much on the whip cords. You almost never see a torque wrench in a residential installation, but you will in commercial settings.

If you over-tighten a screw, you end up stretching the threads on the screw or on the connector. The end result is that you will make it looser. Even if you stopped "before" you stripped the screw, you still might have excessive force being applied to the threads. Subsequent vibration, thermal cycles, etc. might eventually loosen the connection.

o
RE: Screw connections: How tight is too tight?

I spoke with a few physicists about this topic last year, and none could think of a reference, but they all agreed that putting too much torque or too little torque both cause the resistance at the connection to be increased compared to the resistance with the specified torque. It is not just a matter of the mechanical aspects of the connection.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here