Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
safely discharging a microwave capacitor?

Posted by tonybeeguy (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 08 at 1:46

My 21year old microwave oven finally died. I want to disassemble, scrap and recycle parts. Will using a heavy screw driver across the terminals safely discharge the high voltage capacitor? How much insulation or protection do you need to do it?


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: safely discharging a microwave capacitor?

Officially it's a bad idea.

In reality, it's never harmed me.

Wear heavy gloves and clothing, and a welding mask. It's really overkill but safety is always good.


 o
RE: safely discharging a microwave capacitor?

Use a screwdriver you don't care about.

The official way would be a shorting stick (essentially something with some resistance to it).


 o
RE: safely discharging a microwave capacitor?

Sorry I can't offer any insight on discharging your microwave capacitor, but I noticed you intend to scrap/recycle the parts of your old microwave. I recently replaced the magnetron assembly in my microwave and I was wondering how to dispose of the old one. I would prefer to recycle it if possible, but I'm not sure who recycles old microwave parts in my area. Could you let me know how you recycled your microwave parts?


 o
RE: safely discharging a microwave capacitor?

I recently replaced the magnetron assembly in my microwave

And you have the equipment to insure that there is no harmful leakage from the repaired unit - RIGHT?

As far as recycling the magnetron, a scrap yard would be the only option I know of most places. The fact a bunch of our electronic junk winds up overseas should tell you how well we are equipped to deal with it.


 o
RE: safely discharging a microwave capacitor?

Microwave caps have what is called a bleeder resistor in the circut. They discharge themselves. The diode is the one that brings up the voltage. The old magnetron is a piece of junk. Brake the magnet off of it and give it to your kids to play with that is the part that is recycled and throw the rest in the garbage. If for some reason the cap does not discharge and that is almost impossible the discharge will cut your screw driver in half and the cap could explode in flames. This recycling crap is just that. A nice way to say we might think of something to do with it. Untill that happends it is crushed. Only 7 percent of plastic is recyclable and they think 31 percent of metal is recyclable. The rest is contaminated and not useable. The transformer of your microwave is the only thing worth anything but you have to remove all the copper windings from the iron laminates. Shouldn't take more than a few hours. You should get about $12.00 for the copper at todays prices. Good luck.


 o
RE: safely discharging a microwave capacitor?

"...discharge will cut your screw driver in half and the cap could explode in flames."

They are not that powerful.
They can draw a decent arc though so be careful.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here