Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wiring Garage

Posted by jimmyleon (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 8, 12 at 0:38

I am having a garage added to my house. I want to add two 20 amp circuits so lights and receptacles will be on different circuits. Can I just run a 12/3 wire from my main panel to the garage and use a shared neutral at the main panel? In the garage branch off with say black for lights and red for receptacles. If so do I need a double pole breaker like you wire a 240 circuit or a set of 20 amp breakers that have handles on the breakers so if one circuit trips they both do? I guess what I am asking is if just a standard double pole 20 amp breaker is ok. Red and black wire on the breaker and white, of course, to the neutral. Will this work? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wiring Garage

Yes, a standard double-pole 20A breaker is what you need. You also need to connect a ground (but you already knew that).

o

Use the double pole breaker. No possibility of getting both circuits on the same pole of the service.
Be sure to keep all your receptacles at least 18" above the floor in the garage. If lower than 18", your inspector may call it a Class 1 location. You really do not want to know how much that costs.

o

Thanks, Kurto and Bus Driver. That is what I will do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here