Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2 generators on 1 transfer switch

Posted by nwohiofalcon (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 22:00

So I'm researching generators ...(trying to get my mother secure as we're having more outages in the country)

Currently running Eu2000 to power tv/lights etc with cords under the house. It uses 1 gal every 8 hrs.

I'd like to power well pump/water heater/ etc every now and then... but I'd like the fuel savings of a Eu3000 etc.

Looking at Reliance Transfer Switch.

Option #1-Honda Eu6500is- uses more gas -only need 1 generator

Option #2 if it would work would be to use a Honda Eu3000 with a 125 plug into Transfer switch and then have another cheaper $1,000 generator for the 220. This would be best of both worlds. Now if Honda made a 4500 220 gen that sipped gas like the eu2000-I'd be in business.

Option 3- Run 2 reliance transfer switches
1 for 220 stuff
and 1 switch just for the 220 to run the eu3000 electric start

Is this possible? Does anyone do this. Can you post pics? If you have suggestions let me know!
I have a generally good understanding of electricity.
Do not plan on running all at same time.
If you need clarification-please ask!

This post was edited by nwohiofalcon on Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 23:14

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2 generators on 1 transfer switch

Have you actually checked to see what the fuel consumption would be for the load? While your best efficiency is typically obtained when the generator is running at close to it's rated capacity, typically they aren't that far off when running lesser loads.

Running two generators on one transfer switch will not work. They won't be running synchronized and havoc will result from possibly damaging your transfer switch or loads to killing the generators.

Option 3 will certainly work. Nothing will be connected to both generators under that scenario.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here