Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Splicing Wiring or Run New Due o Vandalism

Posted by Pete33 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 21:58

I am building a new home and a theif in the night cut off and stole all of the electical wiring leading to where the breaker panel would eventally be located and stole the last 12' of each wire (about 40 wires total). All of the wiring in the house was basically cut about 12' from the panel. What can be done, short of re-wiring the whole house? Can j boxes be installed to splice? Is that safe? If we were to splice and install about a half dozen j-boxes, they would have to be in my child's bedroom, and want to be sure that wont cause me any future problems. Alother not, the rough elec inspecion was passed already and all work was done by a licsence electrician

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Splicing Wiring or Run New Due o Vandalism

The only practical solution is to start over. Don't splice those cables.

o

Splice MUST be in accessible junction boxes.

You must replace the cables or spend even more money on adding accessible junction boxes at every existing junction box.

'Accessible ' means after the finished wall is created, no damage is done to the wall to access the box.
Every one would need a blank cover plate.

o

Will someone's insurance cover this?

o

I have a builder's risk policy with a $1000 deductable, but would not want to turn it in to mine if I can avoid it.

If junction boxes if the recommended fix by the electrical contractor, how many splices pet box are allowed?

o

The number of splices per box depends on the size of the box and is clearly regulated by "box fill' specifications. You are going to end up with a bunch of visible box cover in that bedroom if you go this route.

o

Those bastards. You absolutely don't want to splice - no way. It would be a huge shadow cast over any future sale.

Consider this - very few wires are home run, so you'll be replacing the wire from the panel to the first connection, ie the first device in the chain.

Needless to say you'll want to beef up your security!

Where I am, scrapyards are required to see ID when purchasing copper (and other) scrap now, I'd be campaigning to have similar laws.

Regardless you'll need another inspection, and I doubt they'd be impressed with a bunch of splices. Talk to your electrician, maybe they'll come to the party and you won't need to use your insurance (if it's around the deductible?) but that's what it's there for.

As the saying goes, "why spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar?"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here