Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bonding Wire Question

Posted by bobinbaltimore (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 25, 10 at 21:53

I'm doing work to finish a section of my basement (all permits properly pulled!). At my rough electric inspection, the inspector alerted me to the new bonding requirements for the flexible gas lines in my house (CSST). I understand the requirements, but have a couple of additional questions.

1. He noted that 6awg wire is required for my situation. Because the gas entrance is at the other end of my basement from the common ground, I intend to use insulated THHN/THWN wire. I don't like the idea of 60 feet of bare wire acorss my basement. Stranded THHN/THWN seems much more common and appears to meet the necessary specs. Does NEC say whether I should use stranded or solid for bonding?

2. I seem to recall that single wires need to be in a conduit. Does code require that I put this single insulated bonding wire in conduit? The entire run will be accessible, if that matters.

Thanks very much for the information.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bonding Wire Question

Stranded or solid, bare or insulated. it's your call.
No conduit is required or needed. Just keep it out of harms way.

I am not sure why the idea of bare wire scares you. This is typical for any bond or grounding electrode conductor wire.

o

Stranded or solid, bare or insulated. it's your call.
No conduit is required or needed. Just keep it out of harms way.

I am not sure why the idea of bare wire scares you. This is typical for any bond or grounding electrode conductor wire.

o

Thanks, Petey. Bare wire doesn't scare me, but I like the idea of having a jacket so that in the case of a fault there is less likely to be inadvertent energizing of metal in incidental contact with the ground (like sheet metal used in creating cold air returns between joists that are along the path of this wire). Call it a little comfort level, that's all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here