Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chuckchuck_gw

wiring outdoor light to protected outdoor socket

chuckchuck
12 years ago

Greetings!

Out in my garden, I have an outdoor outlet with four sockets...two are 'switched' by a switch outside the house, and the other two are always on. The outdoor plug...though professionally installed...seems crummy, since the plastic door barely closes if a cord is plugged into it, but I have addressed that problem by putting the whole outdoor socket under a big fake rock. The main reason for the outdoor socket is that a fountain is plugged into one of the switched sockets (so I can turn the fountain on and off by the switch near the house which controls two of the four sockets). Nearby, there is a convenient post, and I would like to put a light on top of that, run wire under the fake rock and plug it into an outdoor timer, and then plug the outdoor timer into one of the 'always live' sockets. This would allow me to schedule the outdoor light to go on in the evening and then off around midnight or whenever.

If I get the appropriate wire, put a male plug on one end, and wire the other end to the wires associated with my light...and run the wire through some kind of conduit under the ground so it comes up under that fake rock...would that be an acceptable electrical paradigm?

Thanks!

Chuck

Comments (3)