Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
110v line now registers 220v

Posted by newjerseybt (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 12, 11 at 21:36

My sister's neighbor came home from work and noticed his CFL bulbs in L.R. were not working. He replaced one with an incandescent and that blew immediately. Checking the line voltage at the lamp plug it read 220v instead of 110v.

Could this be a combination of problems such as as a miswire when the house was built or a combination of a miswire and/or a lost ground after a lightning strike? There is possible evidence of a lightning strike.

An electrician was called and all they could find was a burn't out basement pump motor but that motor was previously running on 110v.

The homeowner then said the power at the light plugs returned to 110v when the motor was replaced but I suspect the problem has not been corrected but hidden by the continuity/conduction of the motor windings.

Anyone ever encounter such a problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 110v line now registers 220v

Open neutral somewhere.

o

"Open neutral somewhere."

This.

The loads on each leg are dividing the 240 V based on their impedance.
Since the loads are not identical the mid-point is not 0 V producing a pair of 120 V feeds.

The voltage on one leg can approach 240 V while the other will be almost zero.

This is an immediate fire and safety hazard.

TURN OFF THE MAIN BREAKER UNTIL THE PROBLEM IS FOUND AND FIXED.

o

Thanks for quick responses. I will forward your responses to homeowner immediately!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here