Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I use 3 wire or 2 wire for my next step?

Posted by JawCharger (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 21:34

I am installing recessed lighting in my basement. I want to install 2 switches with each switch controlling half of the lights. I have a 2 wire cable running from my breaker box to a junction box.

Cable will be run from the junction box to my switches. My question is would there be any issue with splicing a 3 wire cable in the junction box with my 2 wire cable currently in place or do I run 2 2 wire cables from the junction box to my switches? All cables involved are 14 gauge.

I don't see any real difference aside from the number of cables entering the box for my switches but I realize that I would have 1 fewer neutral wire if I use the 3 wire scenario.

Any help that can be provided would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I use 3 wire or 2 wire for my next step?

If you use 3-wire you have to run it to at least at least the first fixture and can then split any time after that point.

If you split at the switch box into a pair of 2-wre cables it may be less overall cost (more of a single type of cable) instead of needing a short run of 3-wire.

o

You are talking before the switches, right? Just run one 2 wire cable to the switches and use pigtails to power both switches. After the switches run a 2 wire cable to each set of lights from each switch. The blacks will run through the switch and all the whites will tie together. Tie all the grounds together.

o

New code requires neutrals at all switch legs

o

New code requires neutrals at all switch legs

o

I have a 2 wire cable running from my breaker box to a junction box.

Cable will be run from the junction box to my switches.

We are familiar with the new code.

o

"New code requires neutrals at all switch legs"

If you rn the feed to the switches you do notneed to be concerned with switch loops since you wil lnot be using them.

The hot feed goes to both switches.
The switched side goes to each light, along with a neutral.

All the neutral in the switch box are tied together.
All the grounds in the switch box are tied together (and to the switch grounding screws and the box if it is metal).

Each switch then feeds a 2-conductor cable (with ground) that feeds a bank of lights one after another.
Each light is placed across the now switched hhot and the neutral.

There are no 'switch loops' and all you need is 2 conductor cable.

o

Since you are refering to multiple switches, do you mean to have 3-way switches in the circuit? That is, the ability to turn on/off a bank of lights from two locations?

o

I want to install 2 switches with each switch controlling half of the lights.

Looks like simple on/off switches.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here