Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
changing wire in switch box, crimped ground

Posted by alisonlS (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 22, 11 at 21:32

Hi, I need to change out a wire in a double switch box so I can move the light farther from the switch. There are five wires into the box and the grounds are crimped together. I'm not sure how to remove the crimp and the crimps I have are only good for four wires. How should I handle this situation?

Thanks! Alison

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: changing wire in switch box, crimped ground

I'd cut the grounds at the crimp and use a 5 or 6 slot push-in connector.

o

I've never used a push slot connector. Will it allow some of the wires to be left long to connect to the switches?

o

Experience helps in these cases. Often the original installer cuts the wires very short- in violation of the NEC. In very tight places, I sometimes use a Dremel to cut along the side of crimp connector barrel to remove it without shortening the conductors. Suppose that you have 6 grounds and the crimp sleeve or wire nut will accommodate only 4. Combine 3 of the grounds with a pigtail (total 4) and combine the other three with the other end of the pigtail for another 4.

o

Sounds good, thank-you so much for the help!

Alison

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here