Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Multiple disconnects/feeders for a mobile home?

Posted by pharkus (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 21:19

I'm a little bit baffled on this... whether or not it's allowed...

Just acquired a mobile home, 12'x70'... with... central full electric hvac... 90A at 240V.

Original service is 100A - HVAC is currently a 90A breaker in that box...

I'm looking at a 200A meter base with built-in load center, 4 spaces... I'd like to put two 100A breakers in there, one for the HVAC and one for everything else... there would then be two feeders from the pole to the building... is that legal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Multiple disconnects/feeders for a mobile home?

I believe that Article 230.71(A) of the NEC (2011) permits the arrangement you suggest. This Article provision is not new to the code by any means. If your inspector disagrees, this one is worth an appeal to his superior and higher if necessary.

o

To explain a bit more, in the plan you propose, the meter/load center is the service, the panels in the mobile home are then subpanels. Be sure to have the neutrals bonded only at the service, not in the subpanels.

o

The first disconnect is a main, and all panels after it are sub-panels.

A main has a 3-wire feed (H-H-N) and a grounding electrode system. The main is the only place grounds and neutral may be connected.

Subs require a four wire feed (H-H-N-G) and isolated grounds and neutrals in the sub-panels.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here