Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two fixtures, one source

Posted by macminn18 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 3, 11 at 20:25

I would like to wire two fixtures from one power source. That part should be easy. Here's the wrinkle, at least to my thinking.
The power comes into one fixture, then on to the two switches, then out to the second fixture.
I have a two wire power source, then a 3 wire to the switches.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two fixtures, one source

You are correct that you'll need 3-wire cable to wire the circuit as you describe. You left out the part that you'll need 2-wire cable from the second switch to the second light fixture. I'm assuming that the two switches are in the same box. If not, you'll need 2-wire cable to go between the switches as well.

o

I saw this done in a wiring book from HD, but it has the 3 wire going to the second fixture, then the switches, so I can't figure out what goes where.

o

So my question is, I have the three wire runnin g to the first switch. How do I connect the 2 wire to the 3 wire in the first fixture box. Then how do I connect the three wire to the two switche and to the 2 wire going out to the second fixture?

o

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're doing, but here's a diagram. The black dots are connection points.

electrical diagram

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here