Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
CFL flashing while off

Posted by pr0j3Kt (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 19, 11 at 20:24

I have a friend who bought a house, and i noticed the other day that part of the CFL was flickering every few seconds while the lights were off. nothing bright, or probably even noticable if you werent looking at it. but it wasnt the whole lamp, it was like one inch or so of the spiral length(if that makes any sense).... anyway thanks for the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: CFL flashing while off

Is it on a dimmer or some other form of electronic switch (photocell, timer, etc..)?

o

I have not encountered that condition. First, I would substitute a different CFL and see if the condition persists. I suspect that induced voltage is the culprit. The power available from such is typically not enough to cause a visible response from an incandescent lamp.

o

Is the switch illuminated?

The neon bulb in illuminated switches pulls just enough power to confuse some CFLs into trying to start.

They slowly build up enough charge in their power supply, then try to strike on. There is not enough current available (rarely more than 0.01 amps) and they immediately go out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here