Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sub panel grounding

Posted by dustinfox (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 19:38

Hi, I read the FAQ titled "What you need to know about installing a sub-panel" and I have one question. When running individual wires through conduit, why do I need a ground wire from the main building/panel if I am driving ground rods for grounding at the remote sub-panel? Seems like I could do without one or the other.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sub panel grounding

Because it's required by the code. If you're within the same structure, all grounds need to be bonded together. If you're talking about a sub panel in a separate structure, the later codes for all systems (and the earlier ones when there is any other metallic connection between the building, e.g., phone, piping, cable) requires a ground as well as a grounded conductor.

o

The ground rod(s) and the equipment ground from the main panel serve different purposes:

1. The ground rod (earth ground) is capable of dispersing low-current/high-voltage surges -- typically lightening strikes in the case of a remote subpanel. Due to the high resistance of soil, however, it is almost useless when it comes to tripping a breaker in the event of an overcurrent situation (e.g., a ground fault in an appliance or other piece of equipment). A typical ground rod is capable of providing a return path to the center core of the power company's transformer for only about 5 amps or less.

2. OTOH, the equipment ground from the main panel is bonded to the neutral at the system bonding point and provides a good low-resistance path to the transformer. That's the path that will cause a breaker to trip in the even of an overcurrent situation.

o

Thank you terribletom for answering my question!

o

One more question... At what level does voltage drop become a concern? i.e. if I start out with 120 volts at the main, how much of a loss is acceptable before it becomes a concern (loss of power, motors running hot, etc.)

Thanks again!

o

3% is a typical max for conductor drop.

Since it is normally computed at full rated current it is very rare for it to actually happen (adding some additional margin).

o

Thanks brickeye... I'm considering running 6/3 copper to a barn 130 feet away (to the sub panel) which puts the voltage drop right around 3% at 60 amps. Sounds like I'm ok then!

o

Make sure you account for both directions (current out to the panel, and then the return current).

Some SW is 'smart' enough to double the distances using the same gauge, others need each side computed separately (especially if the wires are not the same size).

o

I used a calculator I found on the internet here

http://www.csgnetwork.com/voltagedropcalc.html

I will calculate manually to double check. Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here