Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jscozz_gw

Well wire open

jscozz
9 years ago

Looking for thoughts on this... my well was installed 14 years ago. I have a 1.5hp submersible pump. Runs my domestic, geothermal, lawn, etc. No problem for 12 years. Then 1-1/2 years ago the pump failed. No problem. It gets a lot of use. Had it replaced. All good again. Now 1-1/2 years later the pump stopped. Power was going to the well, but pump not running. I called well company, but before they got here (an hour or so) it started running again. Ran fine for 4 weeks. Then shut off again. Stayed off this time. Well company pulled the pump and found a broken wire. It was located only about 10' up from the pump... the wire was well secured to the rigid plastic pipe that comes up to the pitless adapter, and not just hanging freely. And the break was INSIDE the insulation. No break in insulation. They felt it by the fact that the wire bent freely like the copper was broken inside.

My question is... is there ANY way that this could have opened up inside the jacket other than from damage to the wire either before installation years ago (kink in wire) or while the pump was being replaced 1-1/2 years ago? I am asking because I am being charged for the service visit, which I did not expect... I have NEVER seen a wire fail like that without some external help. If it were from over current, then I am guessing the jacket would have been melted or burned through? Or by the fact that it was submerged in the well, could it have failed this way without any damage to the jacket? But still, the wire would have had to have been previously damaged to cause the weak/hot spot, or the pump caused the over current in some way, right?

I'd appreciate any input or thoughts!

Comment (1)