Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installed GE Monogram Oven, Electrical Wiring Advice Needed

Posted by chiah (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 19, 10 at 18:05

First of all, GREAT site! We *almost* finished our kitchen remodeling. During the process, this site was, and still is, the one that we used the most for our research and inspiration.
My questions are for any electrician with experience in California.

We purchased and installed a GE Monogram single wall oven. The manual suggested that it can use either a 120/240v or 120/280Yv circuit. Based on all researches that we did, 120/240v seems to be the right one for Sacramento.

The manual also suggested that if the oven consumes less than 4.8kW, we needed to install a 20amp circuit protection. Given that the oven sticker indicated that it uses 4.5kW on a 120/240v circuit, I installed a dedicated 120/240v circuit with 12/3 NM wire and a double leg, not tandem, 20amp circuit breaker.

Yesterday was the first time that we baked something, at 450F for 15 minutes or so. I have access to the actual wire. Out of curiosity, I touch the wire (might not be the smartest thing to do) and felt that it was a bit warmer than the rest of the wires. Not hot, just a bit warmer.

Even though the breaker didn't trip, I am a bit worried about the temperature.

Should the wire be a bit warm? Is 12/3 sufficient or should I upgrade to 10/3 and keep the 20amp breaker?

Sincerely appreciate any help.
Chia

p.s. I also posted this message in the Appliance Forum.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installed GE Monogram Oven, Electrical Wiring Advice Needed

The installation manual will almost CERTAINLY tell you what they recommend/require for the circuit. The simplest GE Monogram single wall oven does spec a 20A circuit. I'd put the larger wire in anyhow. Someday you might want to put one of the speedcook / trivection things in there that requires a 30A circuit. You might even consider wire big enough for 40A (#8) if you ever think you might put double ovens there.

o

"double leg, not tandem, 20amp circuit breaker."

What do you mean by "double leg"?

The breaker handles are required to be tied together (2-pole breaker).

o

Thanks.

Ronnatalie, the space for the oven is under the counter top. So a double oven is out of question. Also, we came from a double oven to a single oven, so there is already a #8 wire somewhere else in the kitchen that I capped off on both ends (kitchen and sevice panel). Shall we remodel the kitchen again, hopefully not ;), we can always tap into that one. I will pull out the 12/3, put in 10/3 and leave the 20amp breaker in the service panel.

Brickeyee, sorry for the terminology. It is a double pole, the two levers are linked and the breaker occupies two slots in the service panel.

o

FYI from the other post: this is a 100ft run of #12.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here