Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chiah_gw

Installed GE Monogram Oven, Electrical Wiring Advice Needed

chiah
13 years ago

First of all, GREAT site! We *almost* finished our kitchen remodeling. During the process, this site was, and still is, the one that we used the most for our research and inspiration.

My questions are for any electrician with experience in California.

We purchased and installed a GE Monogram single wall oven. The manual suggested that it can use either a 120/240v or 120/280Yv circuit. Based on all researches that we did, 120/240v seems to be the right one for Sacramento.

The manual also suggested that if the oven consumes less than 4.8kW, we needed to install a 20amp circuit protection. Given that the oven sticker indicated that it uses 4.5kW on a 120/240v circuit, I installed a dedicated 120/240v circuit with 12/3 NM wire and a double leg, not tandem, 20amp circuit breaker.

Yesterday was the first time that we baked something, at 450F for 15 minutes or so. I have access to the actual wire. Out of curiosity, I touch the wire (might not be the smartest thing to do) and felt that it was a bit warmer than the rest of the wires. Not hot, just a bit warmer.

Even though the breaker didn't trip, I am a bit worried about the temperature.

Should the wire be a bit warm? Is 12/3 sufficient or should I upgrade to 10/3 and keep the 20amp breaker?

Sincerely appreciate any help.

Chia

p.s. I also posted this message in the Appliance Forum.

Comments (4)