Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dilettante_gw

Pass & Seymour GFCI with nightlight - how bright?

dilettante_gw
13 years ago

Has anyone here installed the Pass & Seymour tamper-resistant GFCI with a built-in LED nightlight between the receptacles? Would the LED nightlight give off enough light for me to do away with the standard 4w nightlight that is currently hogging one of the receptacles on my regular GFCI outlet?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pass & Seymour GFCI #1595NTLTRWCC4

Comments (10)

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

It all depends: are you just using the light to help navigate in the dark, to pacify a child, or what?

• dilettante_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"Navigate in the dark" would sum it up nicely.

I don't need a lot of light, but I don't want to bother with it if it's so dim I end up using a plug-in too.

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

I haven't used that particular device, but I do have a couple of receptacles that I have installed that glow in the dark. They don't provide enough light to light up the floor a lot, but I can navigate in pitch black because I know where they are and they keep me oriented. However, there are a couple of areas, like the top of the steps, where I want a little more light, so I got some plugin nightlights. At Costco I found a set of five of them for about $12. They are nice for my purposes because they are solid state (no light bulbs to replace), and they can be set from fairly bright to very dim, as well as allowing you to choose among about a half dozen colors of light.

• dilettante_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. I think I'll pass on the nightlight GFCI until I see some positive reviews (or my current one fails).

Do you recall what brand your plug-ins are?

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

dilettante-
    I don't know if Costco still carries them or not. I did a search and just located the light for sale on Amazon, but the vendor wanted an outrageous amount of money: one light for $40, plus $10 for shipping! (I paid less than $3 for the identical item at Costco). If you want to do any more searching, Google for "Megabrite LED Color Changing Night Light with Photo Sensor"

The thing I most like about the light is you can set it for whatever level of light you want in a particular location.

Here is a link that might be useful: LED nightlight

• dilettante_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, I'll watch for it.

P.S. You're right - 50 bucks for a nightlight is outrageous!

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

We use some $5 nightlights in rooms with no windows for a little back up lighting.

They turn off when they detect the room light turning on, and dissipate very little power when on.

The dusk/dawn means they go off when the room light is on.

Here is a link that might be useful: LED Nightlight

• DavidR
    13 years ago

Try putting an ammeter in series with those photocell night lights. May not be true of yours, but I've read that some of them actually use as much (or even more) current when they're off, compared to when they're on.

It doesn't much matter, since these lights use so little power anyway - typically about a third of a watt - but it's still amusing.

• emowsyr
    13 years ago

Hi Dilettante - I work with Legrand/Pass & Seymour's product marketing team and saw your post. I'm not sure how familiar you are with lighting, but the nightlight GFCI has a light output of 0.180 Lumens (or Foot Candle Distance). Feedback on the light level really seems to be a matter of preference, but the general belief is that the nightlight GFCI offers a good level of light for a bathroom nightlight. There are hallway light options too - some with two different levels of light output, depending on what you want.

I'd gladly connect you to one of the product managers if you have more specific questions, or Legrand/Pass & Seymour could send you a product sample if you're interested.

Hope this makes your decision easier!

• xjrguy
    13 years ago

Hi,

Here are some pictures of the Pass and Seymour double outlet with nightlight.

First one is a spare bathroom in pitch dark.

Second one is kitchen with outside light illuminated - Kitchen has multiple Pass and Seymour GFCI nightlight outlets.

Hope this helps.

http://www.laspeedgarage.com/download/file.php?id=294&mode=view

http://www.laspeedgarage.com/download/file.php?id=295&mode=view