Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gazebo Light Installation

Posted by tim_pool_newbie (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 1, 10 at 16:50

I just recently purchased a gazebo with pre-wiring for a light. I bought a simple octagonal light fixture that should fit nicely over the octagonal opening in the gazebo ceiling where the wire comes in. However, there is a cross-member bar straight across the celing opening and so I'm not quite sure how to install any type of junction box onto which I can then install my light fixture. If I tack the box to the bottom of this cross-member, the light fixture would not be flush against the celing.
Anyone have any thoughts on the proper installation of a gazebo light? (Even if I were installing a ceiling fan I'd have the same issue)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gazebo Light Installation

pictures would help.

o

I couldn't figure out how to post photos to this forum, so hopefully this URL link to an online gallery of the photos will help.

http://cid-7cca53e7b99bfaa5.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Gazebo Light

I took various photos of the gazebo ceiling as well as the fixture itself that I'm attempting to install.

Someone else indicated there may be a special box for this, but I haven't found anything yet.

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks,
Tim

o

pancake box. It is 4" and round and is only 1/2" thick. It looks like the 2x4 support is 1/2" higher than the finish surface anyway.

o

It's not entirely clear to me, but it seems like the electrical lines are separate from the mounting? And that the mounting bracket attaches to the 2x4 and the light kinda 'screws' into the bracket?

Can the electrical wires go inside the hollow mounting 'bolt'? If so, put your box on the other side of the 2x4. I believe you can find boxes that have a knock-out plug in the middle for this.

o

I'd be careful not to block the airflow up into the cupola. This is a factor in the heat build-up in the gazebo (comfort factor). A lighting fixture with a smaller base might be in order.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here