Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
future proof sizing of a subpanel

Posted by simanco (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 16:49

Hello,

We'll be replacing the upstairs fusebox subpanel and the wiring to it. Currently there are only three circuits, but the upstairs has no HVAC and will likely get it at some point in the future. Not to mention a possible need for new circuits at some point.

It is barely possible that we might want to put a small water heater upstairs - possible but unlikely. Other than that, and a future HVAC system, we are only serving 4 bedrooms and a bath.

I want to do this panel upgrade once and be done with it, but what should I go with?

Thanks,
Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: future proof sizing of a subpanel

Make a list of all things you might possibly want and determine how many circuits that requires. Then increase that number by 50%.

o
RE: future proof sizing of a subpanel

I wouldn't install anything less than 100a cable and 24 circuit panel. You don't have to feed it with 100a but you can in the future.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here