Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
coax

Posted by ionized (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 5, 10 at 16:29

I am contemplating installing a rooftop TV antenna. Is there any difference between coaxial cables in terms of UV resistance? I was looking at some coils this morning and there was no mention of this on the packaging.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: coax

An "A" in the marking indicates "aerial" use. That would imply ultraviolet resistance.

o

my friend has coax that he installed on his house 5-6 years ago and its in sunlight for about 8-9 hours during the day and its still performing perfectly and still flexes in the breeze.

P.S. he bought quad shield coax 100 ft at walmart i believe with the connectors on the ends already

sorry but i cant find the link currently if i find it i will post it

o

"sunlight for about 8-9 hours during the day"

Must be a knewlocation in CONUS wuth only "sunlight for about 8-9 hours during the day."

What location is this?

o

I have put up lots of TV coax in the last 30 years. Avoid cable that is any color other than black, and don't buy it at Wal*mart. Get a decent brand like Commscope or Belden, and weather seal the ends properly.

I saw more cable ruined by water ingress than UV deterioration, unless it was jacketed with a color other than black. I can recall only two cases in the last 20 years where I replaced a "black" cable that had significant UV damage. Both were in the late 80's and the cable was 20+ years old.

o

Thanks, guys. Wayne, how do I weather seal the ends properly?

o

I like T&B snap-n-seal fittings. (see the link) You can also use a product called "coax seal", or similar Butyl componds sold under other names. If you can get hold of some splicing tape like Scotch 130c, that works very well. Even Super 33+ will work if carefully applied, but it is more difficult to get a lasting seal with 33+.

I took a piece of cable down yesterday that had been spliced with 2 fittings and an F81, then wrapped in 33+ or similar tape. I think it had been up for at least 5 years, the fittings still looked "new" inside.

Here is a link that might be useful: sns

o

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here