Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
installing a new ceiling fixture

Posted by toolbeltnovice (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 16:17

I am replacing a new bathroom ceiling light fixture. I removed the old light fixture and it was attached to the wall with only a black to black wire and white to white wire. There was no ground wire, but there was a green screw on the plate. the electrical box is plastic and not metal and i noticed a thick copper wire that was curled up in the wall.

My question is, the new light fixture has 3 wires: black, white and bare copper. Do I attach the black to the black, white to the white and copper to the thick copper wire in the wall or the green ground screw or to nothing at all. I didn't attach it to anything and the light works fine. Should the copper wire from the light fixture be attached? what's the danger of not grounding it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: installing a new ceiling fixture

Thick copper wire in the wall? Outside the box? An individual single-strand wire without insulation? Thick? Larger than the conductors that were connected to the fixture?

o

If the 'thick copper wire that was curled up in the wall' is part of the cable that the old fixture was wired to, then yes, connect it to the bare copper wire from the new fixture. Not grounding the fixture leaves you at some risk of an electrical shock if the 'right' type of failure occurs.

o

To bus driver/Randy: yes the thick copper, single stranded, uninsulated wireis in the wall and outside of the box. It was not attached to the old fixture at all. Since it wasnt attached to the last fixture, should I leave it curled up in the wall and attach the thin copper wire to the green ground screw?

o

The copper wire in the wall is attached to/comes from what/where? Does it come out from the same cable as the insulated wires that are in the box and to which the fixture was attached? Does the wire come into the box and then out again? For the cable supplying power to the box, does the cable outer sheathing enter the box at all?
For the more knowledgeable on this forum, this wire outside the box is so unusual that I think it unwise to just assume that it is the equipment grounding conductor. It takes extra effort to have that wire outside the box. Who knows what other "creativity" was exercised by the installer? Who knows what that installer did with the other end of the wire?

o

Unless you can find the other end of the wire do not use it for ANYTHING.

o

In-other-words a picture is worth a thousand questions. Please post an image.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here