Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nao43

Wiring question

nao43
9 years ago

Ok I saw a video on YouTube, I know this isn't starting well. But, I have 2 prong outlets and I replaced with a 3 prong and ground the outlet to the metal box as per the instructions in the video. (Videojoeknows) how to replace 2 prong outlets. After installation I test my work with my multimeter and in the ground hole it will take some current but only around 18v. I get 120v from small to big so I know it is getting correct power to those slots but I'm worried that not all 120v is going to the ground. I am asking what to do, and I am renting so I'm at the mercy of my landlord. We just moved in 4 days ago, in SC from St. Louis, and didn't know almost all the outlets in the house are 2 prong. But I am a musician, with several thousands of dollars worth of equipment that I refuse to use until I know I won't blow it up.

Comments (4)

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

I suspect that the wall box is not grounded at all. Given the amount of money at risk-- and the fact that you do not own the premises, first discuss with the landlord the problem of ungrounded receptacles.If he offers no help, seek his permission to hire an electrician to do the job. And be sure to buy renter's insurance.
    Do not undertake changes to that electrical system on your own-- for one thing, it is illegal to do so.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

I can guarantee with about 99% certainty that the boxes are not grounded back to the panel. Unless the boxes have a bare copper ground coming out of the cable(s) in the box, or the wiring runs are encased in armored cable (unlikely), there is no ground. All you have done is grounded the receptacle to the box, but it has no path back to the panel without a ground wire. You could, however, replace one of the two prong outlets with a GFCI receptacle and that would give you some protection at that outlet (and any other outlets that were "downstream" from it).

This post was edited by kudzu9 on Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 1:14

• petey_racer
    9 years ago

You SHOULD NOT be touching ANYTHING electrical in a place that you are renting. I don't care if the cheap LL says it's OK.

If you have to watch a YT video to learn how to change a receptacle you SHOULD NOT be doing it. 90% of that crap is misleading, leaves out many details and codes, or is flat out wrong.

• jimct01
    9 years ago

Likely not grounded . I have found the grounding in my old house to be suspect.

HOWEVER, you are a tenant and should not be touching electrical, plumbing or stucture. My leases for my properties have sections which explicitly state the tenant may not modify the building, plumbing, gas, heating or eletrical systems and are grounds for termination of the lease. Heck, I can't even touch most of these as a landlord in a rented property. I have to by law in my state hire licensed professionals even to,swap an outlet. My insurance company is probably even more strict than the state. However, if you are my tenant and you have an issue, and you pay your rent on time and maintain the property, I will go out of way to make you happy and take care of most issues.