Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
NC Code question

Posted by dredpir8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 2, 10 at 15:40

Hi All,

I've got a code question for anyone in NC.

Our dishwasher is on a circuit with a light switch and our GC told us it was code. He said the dishwasher had to be on a local switch in addition to the breaker.

That seems really odd to me. Can anyone verify?

Thanks,
T

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NC Code question

North Carolina follows the 2008 NEC with little exception. There has to be a disconnect to the dishwasher can be serviced. The two ways this is commonly done is to either provide a switch or to make the power cord-and-plug connected someplace that meets the requirement (typically in the adjacent cabinet under the sink).

The breaker doesn't qualify unless it could be seen by someone while working on the unit.

o

Thanks for the response. Seems odd, but who am I to judge.
T

o

The power limit for NOT needing the disconnect (switch or plug) has not kept up with the DWs.

AHJs have only seemed to take not of the requirement the last few years in many places (and still do not in others).

o

You only need the switch if the DW is hardwired. Attaching the appropriate rated appliance cord and plugging it into an outlet under the sink accomplishes the same thing. It gives you a visible and accessible disconnect. In fact, it's a far more typical installation to have an outlet under the sink with half of it switched for a garbage disposal and the other half serving the DW.

o

" it's a far more typical installation to have an outlet under the sink with half of it switched for a garbage disposal and the other half serving the DW."

This is a very local thing.

I see far more hardwired GDs and DWs around Northern Virginia than cord and plug connected.

NH had mostly hard wired a few years ago also.

It is a rather foolish thing though.

You can shot off the breaker and lock it out easily enough.

o

I've never seen a lockout provision on a residential panel.

Of course, I've never seen an appliance service guy who knew anything about maintenance disconnects either.

o

"I've never seen a lockout provision on a residential panel. "

I have lockouts that work on older residential panels that have a cross hole drilled in the CB handles.

Many newer breakers no longer have the cross holes though.

It is not hard to make a bar that blocks access to CBs in a box by clamping onto the box, but it is a rather kludge solution.

It can be used in commercial places that lack adequate lockout hardware also.

o

so what's wrong with wiring the black and white together? while your working on the dishwasher..or temporarily short the two to test for voltage while working on the unit?

the breaker I have heard the breaker that explode when they are reset while shorted..but how often does this happen on low current breakers?

I don't this rule..it ignores common sense working practices

-dkenny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here