Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dredpir8

NC Code question

dredpir8
13 years ago

Hi All,

I've got a code question for anyone in NC.

Our dishwasher is on a circuit with a light switch and our GC told us it was code. He said the dishwasher had to be on a local switch in addition to the breaker.

That seems really odd to me. Can anyone verify?

Thanks,

T

Comments (8)

• Ron Natalie
    13 years ago

North Carolina follows the 2008 NEC with little exception. There has to be a disconnect to the dishwasher can be serviced. The two ways this is commonly done is to either provide a switch or to make the power cord-and-plug connected someplace that meets the requirement (typically in the adjacent cabinet under the sink).

The breaker doesn't qualify unless it could be seen by someone while working on the unit.

• dredpir8
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the response. Seems odd, but who am I to judge.
    T

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

The power limit for NOT needing the disconnect (switch or plug) has not kept up with the DWs.

AHJs have only seemed to take not of the requirement the last few years in many places (and still do not in others).

• live_wire_oak
    13 years ago

You only need the switch if the DW is hardwired. Attaching the appropriate rated appliance cord and plugging it into an outlet under the sink accomplishes the same thing. It gives you a visible and accessible disconnect. In fact, it's a far more typical installation to have an outlet under the sink with half of it switched for a garbage disposal and the other half serving the DW.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

" it's a far more typical installation to have an outlet under the sink with half of it switched for a garbage disposal and the other half serving the DW."

This is a very local thing.

I see far more hardwired GDs and DWs around Northern Virginia than cord and plug connected.

NH had mostly hard wired a few years ago also.

It is a rather foolish thing though.

You can shot off the breaker and lock it out easily enough.

• Ron Natalie
    13 years ago

I've never seen a lockout provision on a residential panel.

Of course, I've never seen an appliance service guy who knew anything about maintenance disconnects either.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"I've never seen a lockout provision on a residential panel. "

I have lockouts that work on older residential panels that have a cross hole drilled in the CB handles.

Many newer breakers no longer have the cross holes though.

It is not hard to make a bar that blocks access to CBs in a box by clamping onto the box, but it is a rather kludge solution.

It can be used in commercial places that lack adequate lockout hardware also.

• dkenny
    13 years ago

so what's wrong with wiring the black and white together? while your working on the dishwasher..or temporarily short the two to test for voltage while working on the unit?

the breaker I have heard the breaker that explode when they are reset while shorted..but how often does this happen on low current breakers?

I don't this rule..it ignores common sense working practices

-dkenny

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks