Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
? on changing electric range outlet

Posted by abbey_cny (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 1, 12 at 15:33

I am getting ready for a kitchen remodel and it will include replacing all the appliances. My electric kitchen range has a 3 prong outlet on a 50 amp breaker. I am going to want the
electrician to replace the outlet with a 4 prong outlet. In order to do that properly I am assuming he will also have to replace the wire back to the circuit breaker. Is that correct? I would just like to have an understanding what is required for this part of the job before the work is done.
Thanks!

Abbey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ? on changing electric range outlet

Yes, if he puts a four wire receptacle in, there must be four wires back to the panel. You can probably legally retrain the three wire circuit for the range, but if you're doing substantial work (including pulling additional other circuits, you might as well do it right.

o

Thank you! Yes,I am doing additional work (additional circuits and moving outlets) so I will just add this to the list.

Abbey

o

any particular reason you are changing it? Your new range might work just fine with it.

o

Hi weedmeister,
Well the reason I am changing it is because I am paranoid about electricity due to a house fire as a kid. Seeing your house go up in flames can have a long term effect on a kid!
So in the interests of improving range safety (at least in my own mind lol) I am going with the 4 wire outlet which will be
properly grounded (as opposed to the 3 wire, which means it is grounded to the stove chassis I believe?). It probably won't make the range any safer, but it will make me feel better so I am going to have it done.

Abbey

o

Three is no real safety difference between a 3-wire and 4-wire range or dryer circuit from a fire standpoint.

The advantage is the redundant safety ground.

The minor voltage rise on the chassis from 120 V loads on the circuit and the voltage drop on the shared ground-neutral is not a fire issue.

Under very specific (and uncommon) circumstances it could be a hazard to people.

Some newer stoves have enough electronics they can benefit form having a separate grounding conductor to reduce electrical noise.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here