Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wiring through wall question

Posted by jimyyz (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 25, 10 at 15:08

I am replacing our kitchen sink cabinet. Currently the hot and cold wire pipes as well as the electrical wire (used to power an insinkerator) come through the floor.

With the new cabinet floor I would prefer all of the pipes and electrical coming from the wall and have reworked the pipes accordingly.

Regarding the electrical cable which looks to be non-metallic sheathed 12-2 is it code to just run the wire back into the wall and pull it back through a foot up the wall? Or is that against code or perhaps some safety issue and therefore I shouldn't do it?

One other thing, I was thinking of running the 1' of cable that I will be running back through the wall through aluminum conduit as a safety precaution... the cable is a little old... pipes water/electrical cables side by side. I'm wondering if there is some kind of safety issue/fire hazzard with the 12-2 getting too hot inside the conduit?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wiring through wall question

If there is enough slack in the current cable to reposition it without splicing, I see no problem with moving it into the wall, in fact, I prefer it that way.
As for the conduit, if the cable insulation is damaged, cracking or otherwise deteriorated, it should be replaced, not hidden in conduit. If it's in good condition now, it should need no additional protection if installed as you've indicated.

o

Can you clarify a bit?

If you previously had exposed cable coming up through the floor under the sink, it was not to code. It should have come up in the wall to a receptacle where you plug in the disposal, or it should have been in conduit or armored cable if exposed. What was the setup that you are modifying? There is not a problem with relocating a wire as long as it is not installed incorrectly. And the receptacle should be a GFCI.

o

My house was built in the 70s. The cable for both the dishwasher and disposal come through the wall. Romex, 14/2. No outlet, no box, no GFCI, though the disposal is switched.

o

"It should have come up in the wall to a receptacle where you plug in the disposal, or it should have been in conduit or armored cable if exposed."

Must be a local alteration.
Cord and plug connection is not required for a GD, nor is armored cable or conduit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here