Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ceiling fan woes

Posted by sixkilo (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 18, 11 at 14:59

I hooked up a ceiling fan with a remote module to a previous light fixture circuit with 3 wire cable. Blk to Blk, wht to wht.Grounded hanger and bracket to copper wire. Hooked module to motor blk to blk.wht to wht and blue to blue for light. Turned unit on fan worked but light made noise. pfth! Thought bad bulb. Installed new bulb,still no light.Installed second fan different light circuit. Hooked up wiring as before BUT!!! did not attach light kit to motor housing. Fan and light worked fine. Installed fan blades. Attached light kit. Fan ran. Light shorted again and now a clicking was coming from unit even with the fan off. What is going on? I have been installing circuits and done a lot of my own work for years. I got two more fans but am hesitant to install.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ceiling fan woes

What do the instructions say?

It's hard to guess what went wrong without the fan model or wiring diagrams. When you say "3 wire cable", do you mean 2 conductors plus a ground? What is the "module" -- the light fixture? If so, I'd only expect it to have 2 wires (plus perhaps a ground). Even if the motor "works" with your connections, it doesn't mean it's wired properly.

o

The fans are Hampton Bay Cailin with remote control module IE reciever in canopy and remote control in hand . I followed instruction in detail. 3 wire is simply hot, neutral, ground to reciever. Blk, wht,to fan motor. Blue to light.Home Depot's response is to wire new fan and light in direct and leave reciever out of circuit Then test motor and light.If they work then place reciever in circuit and test again. If light fails at that point they will send (better)replacement recievers. Seems they should just send 'BETTER' recievers now.

o

That sounds reasonable. Perhaps it isn't a problem with the light at all, but rather the receiver. Unfortunately, Hampton Bay fans are manufactured in China (not in Southern Virginia as the name implies), and are not (in my opinion) particularly well manufactured.

o

There's no Hampton Bay in Southern Virginia either. The body of water is called "Hampton Roads." The Roads here refers not to the highway but to the "roadstead" or natural harbor formed there at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay and the Elizabeth and James Rivers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here