Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is installation of boxes (mostly) included in "rough in" phase?

Posted by elphaba (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 14:31

Electrician is currently wiring/rewiring our kitchen in preparation for drywall and kitchen cabinets and appliances . Plumbing is pretty much done.

I have a question about what I should expect from a two phased installation:
1. 60% is due upon completion of the rough in
2. 40 % is due upon completion.

My question is what should I expect with the rough in? He is leaving numerous wires hanging (pendants for island), wire for microwave undercounter cabinet install, wires behind what will be pantry cabinets. Cabinets will have a back so somehow during cabinet install, hole will need to be pulled for wires and then outlet (external plastic "plaques") will need to be applied to finish.

He will be leaving a lot of "wires" hanging. Should I expect at least there to be a "box" for each wire? Something like this - i.e. should installation of "boxes" be part of the rough in? I'm concerned because we may not have him back for the "finish" and don't want to pay for boxes at that time if they should have been included in the "rough in".

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is installation of boxes (mostly) included in "rough in" phas

NO. Things like this are very often left as whips to be cut-in later so locations can be pin pointed.

Are you seriously concerned about paying for boxes??? Are you aware how little these boxes cost?
If you are that cheap then simply ask the electrician for a few cut-ins at the time of rough.

o

I'm not concerned about the cost of the boxes but I AM concerned about the cost of INSTALLING the boxes. I'm sure it woudn't take much to find an electrician to charge $50 per.

o

You can have him install the boxes, but don't be upset if they are not perfectly placed.
All the things you mention I would also leave whips for.

Is he aware that you may plan on not having him back to finish?

o

Yes

o

You cannot compare the time it would take to put boxes in now and to cut them in later.
To do it now is easy and will take 2 minutes. Later it takes time figuring, measuring and cutting. I'm sure he's taken this into account.
It's not like if you don't have him come back he is cheating you out of something.

o

I thought that the purpose of a rough inspection was to assess the spacing and volume of boxes and mechanics of splices and grounds, and to make sure fastening, among other things is done in a workman-like manner. That can't happen without boxes.

o

There is nothing stating boxes must be installed. An inspector can "request" them, but he'd have nothing in writing backing him up.

Like I said, what the OP describes is done ALL the time.And is the safe way to go (placement wise).

o

Thanks for the quick responses. We have been scammed numerous times (not by electricians though) - nice to know this is not one of them. Thanks again.

o

Before hiring a professional get references and also get references and don't forget to get references. Also, you get what you pay for. I hope you didn't hire some out of work electrician off of Craigs list for $50 per hour and expect to get a professional job.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here