Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this weird? Breakers without info stamped on them?

Posted by la_koala (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 1, 12 at 14:23

Hi,

I was looking at my circuit breaker panel and noticed that the GFI breakers recently installed do not have information stamped on them like the other breakers next to them do.

Is this out of the ordinary?

I mean, the others have the UL symbol and manufacturer's info actually stamped on them. The GFI breakers have nothing but their white Test buttons.

See:
Two GFIs on right (KIT 2 and 1)

and

GFI on left with white test button

The ones with the white buttons are the GFI breakers. As they were recently installed, and there is something screwy going on with the kitchen receptacles, I looked more closely at the circuit panel and noticed this difference. As they stick out like a sore thumb, I don't know whether to worry about them being poor quality or not.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this weird? Breakers without info stamped on them?

It's possible that they are listed breakers and the writing is somewhere other than the front of the case (you'll have to remove the breaker to see it) or it could be some piece of non-listed (i.e., illegal) crap.

o

Hi ronnatalie, thanks for responding!

And thanks for making me feel like this was *not* a stupid question. :-) (And for not making me feel stupid, as some of my family members might have.)

I had no idea that the writing is possibly on another part of the breaker. All of the other ones are on the front of the case.

I called the electrician to come and check out some of the receptacles that are acting oddly. Because they were all done as part of his job, including those breakers.

Thanks again!

o

Many brands of breakers have never been marked on the visible face.

The marking is often on the 'on' edge of the breaker.

o

I did some checking and the real honest to god Cutler-Hammer Type BR GFCI breakers look like what you have. You won't know for sure unless you pull it out and look on the side.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here