Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
adapting from Sched 40 to metal J box

Posted by weedmeister (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 14:10

I have a friend who needs some help.

An electrical friend installed an outside box for him in order to connect an emergency generator to his panel. This box is about 40' from the main panel. It is a plastic shallow box attached to Sched 40 on one side. The other side has a water-tight compression-type fitting from which comes a 10/3 cord about 10' long. The cord has a L15-30 male twist-on plug on it. This cord hangs on a hook outside when not in use.

I would like to replace the plastic junction box with an outdoor weather-rated metal box that has the L15-30 male connector in it (Reliance PB30, I think). Then a male/female cord can be made up and stored with the generator.

My question is, how do I mate the 1" sched40 to the metal box? I believe the hole on the box is 3/4" maximum. I found a 1" water tight compression fitting at HD but it requires a 1" hole in the box.

Of course, if leaving the cord as is dangling in the wind is acceptable, then I'll just leave it alone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: adapting from Sched 40 to metal J box

"I found a 1" water tight compression fitting at HD but it requires a 1" hole in the box. "

Use a larger box.

o

This is what he has. Are you saying to remove the plug from this box and find another with the same weather resistant design?

Here is a link that might be useful: pb30

o

If the box does not have a one inch knockout an electrician could punch one.

A 'slug buster' is not inexpensive for a single use tough (maybe a rental place has one).

A larger box would likely have the size of knockout you want.

They are manufactured with knockouts to match typical wire capacity limits of the box.

o

I'm taking your advice and getting a larger plastic box (with the socket and cover on the bottom).

Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here